[android-porting] Running car-emulator (Android Automotive)
Kiran Rao
2017-09-22 15:18:53 UTC
I'm trying to build Android Automotive from source. I'm able to
successfully build it using the following commands:

repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b
android-8.0.0_r11
source build/envsetup.sh
lunch car_emu_x86_64-userdebug
make -j8 V=1 &>> make.log

My question is how do I run the emulator? After googling and going through
some stackoverflow posts, I came across this:

First, I set an env variable in the command-line (The emulator uses this to
determine which emulator to launch)

export ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT=/path/to/build_root

Next, I created a file car-emulator.sh and put this in it
#!/usr/bin/env bash

ANDROID_BUILD_OUT=/path/to/build_root/out
PREBUILT=/path/to/build_root/prebuilts
EMULATOR_OUT=${ANDROID_BUILD_OUT}/target/product/car-x86_64

${PREBUILT}/android-emulator/linux-x86_64/emulator \
-sysdir ${EMULATOR_OUT} \
-system ${EMULATOR_OUT}/system.img \
-ramdisk ${EMULATOR_OUT}/ramdisk.img \
-data ${EMULATOR_OUT}/userdata.img \
-kernel ${PREBUILT}/qemu-kernel/x86_64/kernel-qemu \
-scale 0.7 \
-memory 512 \
-partition-size 1024

I also tried to download the relevant (darwin-x86_64) files from the build
machine to my Mac laptop and tried running there. The emulator starts but
crashes immediately.

Also, I see that the CarService.apk has been generated. Is it sufficient to
install this APK on a device for it to work? Does it depend on anything
else?
Mayank Agarwal
Renjith Rajagopal
2018-02-24 09:02:55 UTC
https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/platform/external/adt-infra/+/502579/
Google is working on it to release Car emulator officially.

I could build and run Emulator in x86 version,but not with lunch
car_emu_x86_64-userdebug instead aosp_x86_64 configuration.
But still need few hacks to make it up and running.
Nilesh Khairnar
2018-10-04 12:38:03 UTC
Hi Renjith,

I am able to build emulator for x86 version using aosp_x86_64 configuration.

*>>But still need few hacks to make it up and running.*
Could you please share steps for running this emulator?

Regards,
Nilesh